Why Does Network Latency Matter in VoIP Technologies?
Revolutionary technologies like VoIP, the cloud, and the Internet of Things (IoT) have changed the way we communicate, share data, and connect. Everything we do, from making a video call to uploading a picture, strains our mobile networks.
Under periods of high usage, 4G networks don’t have the architecture in place to prioritize packets. As the network becomes bogged down, latencies increase, and this reduces your ability to interact with the network. For something like a voice or video call, this can result in stuttering, skipping, and call drop-offs.
5G won’t suffer from these problems.
Quality of Service (QoS) & 5G VoIP
QoS is essential for VoIP technologies as anything, but perfect isn’t good enough when it comes to communications. 5G promises massive QoS upgrades over the current 4G networks. These upgrades include:
- Lower latency
- Better throughput
- 100% network availability
- Improved reliability with block error ratios as low as 0.00001 per ms (4G has 0.01)
- A reduction in jitter to 10-100 ms
- Increased bandwidth for sensor devices (from 100 Kbps to hundreds of Mbps)
Another essential feature of 5G is network slicing, which the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers classified as the process of allocating “the network computing, storage, and communication resources among the active services with the aim of guaranteeing their isolation and given performance levels.”
5G’s Radio Access Network (RAN) architecture is based on the following three network categories:
- Enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB) refers to devices that require high capacity and speed and dynamic bandwidth. This network category includes things like ultra-high-definition (UHD) videos, virtual reality, and other devices with high bandwidth.
- Ultra-reliable and low-latency communications (uRLLC) refers to devices that require high reliability and availability and low latency. This network category includes things like voice and video communication, VoIP technologies, autonomous vehicles, and devices where low latency is essential.
- Massive machine-type communications (mMTC) refers to devices that require high capacity and speed and dynamic bandwidth allocation. This network category includes IoT devices, sensors, and other smart devices that require uptime and network availability and performance.
Network slicing is the answer to common QoS VoIP issues. In order to guarantee high-quality VoIP communications, a network must provide low latency and enough bandwidth to transmit the relevant data between the two parties communicating. uRLLC will accomplish exactly this by guaranteeing that VoIP services receive the necessary resources they need.
Making a Case for VoIP in a 5G World
VoIP technology has existed for decades, but it’s the 5G network that will transform it into the global standard. The 5G network is more than capable of rising to the task and enhancing the way we communicate.
Communication service providers are expected to provide high-quality services to their customers. With a reliable network in place, VoIP technologies will continue to evolve, proving themselves to be the ideal platform for offering a feature-rich experience.
Acrobits has spent the last 10 years preparing for the mass adoption of 5G. We’ve prepared our products, tested them across all major operating systems, and we know that we can deliver an exceptional experience in a 5G environment.
Cloud Softphone is the frontrunner in helping companies build mobile and desktop applications that are designed with VoIP in mind. Whatever your needs, you can use our platform to design your own application for internal and external use.
We are thrilled about the 5G revolution and all of the exciting technological improvements it will bring to VoIP services like Cloud Softphone, IoT and smart devices, and other devices that can benefit from an optimized and efficient network. Our track record for empowering global CSPs speaks for itself. We know that we have an edge when it comes to capitalizing on everything 5G has to offer. Our products offer our clients unmatched performance and features that you won’t find anywhere else on the market.